Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous! | Subsequent!

Tests Galore

First of all, thankyous to all the people who left me grugs, good wishes and Rangers of Gondor on my previous post. I've just about been grugged to death!

*grugs everyone back*

Since I promised lots of people I'd keep them informed, I guess my journal may for some time be flooded with posts about all the cancery stuff I have to do.

Today I had CT scans and blood tests.

For the scans, I had to go to the place at 10:30. The man gave me this green stuff to drink. It didn't taste that bad but there was so much of it. I had to drink a cup of it. Then he came and got me for my first scan.

I had to lie on a flat bed kind of thing, with a big round O above it. First I was just getting a brain scan, so I had to lie there, with my eyes shut, while the bed moved under the big O. I could feel it moving and hear a lot of whirring noises. I wasn't allowed to move. It was really scary, although I don't know if I was more scared of the awful machine or just what the results would be. I was nearly crying after five minutes on the dreadful machine. Anyway, that first brain scan was for the tissue, and it only lasted about 5 minutes. Then I got another cup of green stuff and went back into the waiting room where my parents were waiting with the awful magazines.

I had to wait about half an hour, drinking a cup of green stuff every ten minutes. At last, the man came back and took me and my remaining green stuff back into the scanning room. First, I had to get changed out of my clothes and into the horrible white hospital robe. It was hard tying it up around my neck, because lifting my arm that high pulled at the stitches where the first melanoma came out last week.

It was freezing in the scanning room, in my horrid little robe thing. I had to lie on the bed again, for about ten minutes this time. The man was nice, but I was still scared, mostly of the results. I had to lie still, with my arms above my head, while my torso and pelvis got scanned. I could keep my eyes open this time. It's not as scary when your eyes are open, because you can see what the machine does when it's whirring all the time. It was hard to lie still, though, because I was still pulling at my stitches. Also, I was freezing and very scared, so I kept shaking. Every now and again, the machine would order me to take a deep breath and hold it. Each time, I had to hold my breath for 20 seconds, until the machine said to breathe normally. I haven't got much lung capacity, either, so I found it tough. That was another two tissue scans, that ten minutes.

Then, I had to wait while I got injected with the iodine. The needle hurt, but it wasn't so bad. The iodine was to make my blood vessels show up, because the next three scans were to look at my blood, which I guess isn't looking for melanomas, so much as the spread of the cancer. They didn't really explain it, and I'm obedient and just do as my doctors say. The side-effects of the iodine apparently are that you can feel hot, feel like you've wet yourself, and taste metal. Thank goodness, I got the other two, but I didn't taste the metal. Maybe that's a good omen, that I didn't get the one side-effect that I would have found unbearable! Anyway, the hot and weirdness only lasted a minute or two. Meanwhile, I was being scanned all over again. Another ten minutes worth of scanning, pelvic and torso again. The iodine needle was still pumping into my arm, this whole time, so it wasn't very comfortable. At least, thanks to the iodine, I wasn't cold anymore!!! More breath holding, though.

After that, there was only one scan left. That was another brain scan, but for the blood vessels, this time. So, the other one was kind of a skull scan, whereas this one was for the actual brain. I still had to keep the iodine needle in. Five minutes of scanning this time, and with the eyes shut again, which was every bit as horrible as the first time, just lying there with the needle in my arm, cold again now, and unable to see what the machine was doing, or move at all.

That was all, though. He took the iodine needle off my arm, and made me lie there for a little bit, holding the cotton wool on my arm, to stop it bleeding. I guess he was getting the scans altogether, or something. Anyway, he came back out of his booth after a bit, and taped the wool on my arm. Then he let me go get dressed again, and gave me a form to take to reception.

I was warm again when I was allowed to get out of the awful gown and into proper clothes. Then I did the boring reception stuff. I thought it would be 4 cat scans, but in the end, it was 6.

After that, we went to my local shops, where I could get my blood tests. They need to test for 5 or 6 things, but they only needed to take three vials of blood. I don't have a problem with blood tests at all. I just can't watch the needle go in, but I like watching the blood go into the vials. The vials later, she gave me another cotton wool ball (I have a whole in each inner elbow now!!!). I sat and put pressure on the hole, while she did all the paperwork for my vials. She stamped "URGENT URGENT" on my forms, gave me a little spot bandaid and let me go.

Done and done.

All my stuff will be sent to my doctors, and my Dad can go pick the CT scan films up later.

So, now I guess I just have to wait and see what they said. There's not much we can do without my results, because we need to know a) Where the missing Primary Melanoma is, b) If there are any other Secondaries and c) How far any cancer has spread through the body.

So, crossed fingers, everyone, for good results.

So, other than that, I just have to talk to my two lecturers and warn them I may have trouble when it comes to exams. Depending on the tests, my two exams are right about the time I may have to start treatment. Yuck!



( 17 comments! — Make Remark! )
May. 31st, 2006 04:47 am (UTC)
*crosses fingers*

Thank you for keeping us updated. *hugs*
May. 31st, 2006 04:50 am (UTC)
*crosses fingers firmly*

I hope it's good news, my evil twin. I shall stroke my orange goatee and fervently hope for the best.

Not that I have a goatee, you understand.

*more hugs*
(Just in case you need them.)
May. 31st, 2006 04:50 am (UTC)
P.S. I put my LorF up! Are the puppies safe now?
May. 31st, 2006 05:54 am (UTC)
*hides kitten in case they're not*
May. 31st, 2006 05:03 am (UTC)
*grugs* thanks for keeping us updated Kayt!!!*crosses fingers and toes* I like watching the blood go into the little vials as well when they take my blood. Hope you arnt feeling too seedy from the Iodine and scans and stuff * more grugs* take care gal luv DM
May. 31st, 2006 05:50 am (UTC)
*hugs for Kayt*

Glad you didn't find the tests too harrowing.

Hopefully the results won't be too bad, either.
May. 31st, 2006 05:52 am (UTC)
On the plus side, CT scan films do look kinda cool. And I know completely what you're saying about the freakiness of being in a CT scanner. I had my brain scanned last year cause I kept getting hideous headaches (although they never did find what was wrong, just random inflamation in my sinuses)


Never had to have blood taken... Although we just did a unit on medical physics so I know all about the iodine and everything...


May. 31st, 2006 06:02 am (UTC)
That machine sounds horrible. :(

*Crosses fingers for the Lady*
May. 31st, 2006 07:08 am (UTC)
*crosses fingers and toes and any other part of the body that can be crossed*

*grugs more*
May. 31st, 2006 07:09 am (UTC)
*imagines rilla's spine crossing and hopes this wasn't the case*

That sounds really painful...
May. 31st, 2006 07:59 am (UTC)
:O Kayt, you're so brave. That sounds so scary. Thank you for the update, and keep them coming - we want to know you're ok!
At least it sounds they were very thorough - they'll pick it up for sure.

*grugs* Good luck :-)
May. 31st, 2006 09:17 am (UTC)

we have matching elbows! (or at least inner elbows - does it even have a name?)

You do get used to it all after a while, but a big bleh to the coldness.

*sticks tongue out at it*

Much love and Faramir goodness :D
May. 31st, 2006 11:22 am (UTC)
Do you know how long it'll be till you get the results? (Did you say that and I missed it?)

Good luck, and yeah, my fingers will be crossed too.
Jun. 1st, 2006 12:39 am (UTC)
Well, the blood tests will go to my doctors today, except one which takes a couple of days to test for. The CT scan report was faxed to my surgeon yesterday afternoon, but my Dad has to pick up the films and the hard copy of the report today.

So, I guess I get to read the report today, but whether I understand it is a different story...
May. 31st, 2006 10:37 pm (UTC)
*crosses fingers liek woah*
May. 31st, 2006 11:24 pm (UTC)
Good luck with the results!
Jun. 2nd, 2006 03:08 am (UTC)
As far as I understand it, the iodine stuff they give you is radioactive, but stops being radioactive fairly quickly (half-life 60 days, apparently). They can use it to find cancers because cancers can secrete chemicals that redirect and grow blood vessels out to the cancer, helping it grow faster. Hope that helps you understand things a bit - don't forget that the doctor, radiologist and surgeon are all there to help you, so ask if they're being confusing.

( 17 comments! — Make Remark! )

Latest Month

August 2011